Childhood/Senior Hunger Relief – AmeriCorps VISTA
United Way of Palm Beach County
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time, Exempt – AmeriCorps VISTA
REPORTS TO: Vice President for Hunger Relief
There are more than 181,000 hungry people living in Palm Beach County since COVID-19. 1 in every 5 children struggle to eat every day. Understanding the negative consequences of hunger, United Way of Palm Beach County is leading the fight against hunger in our county through implementing the Hunger Relief Plan. This position will assist with the implementation of childhood and senior activities of the Palm Beach County Hunger Relief Plan.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Publicize summer meal programs for children and recruit new sites to host summer meal programs.
- Assist with recruitment of new Summer BreakSpot and Afterschool Meals Program sites.
- Inventory faith-based and other hunger outreach programs and track those efforts.
- Schedule and help execute outreach opportunities.
- Update and maintain database of organizations that serve the hungry.
- Assist with coordination of hunger outreach efforts within community.
- Assist with communication and coordination of action plan activities with Childhood Work Group and United Way PBC staff.
- Assist with review, coordination and tracking data, research, and findings of Childhood Work Group. This is ongoing and changing rapidly with COVID-19.
- Assist with tracking programs and activities related to need, during COVID-19 and beyond.
- Educate the community about the Hunger Relief Plan with a focus on childhood hunger. Use social and local media to raise awareness of both the hunger that exists in Palm Beach County and the Hunger Relief Plan Activity.
- Assist with development/fundraising/grant opportunities as appropriate.
- Assess resources inside and outside of the Hunger Relief Task Force community to assist with ongoing action plan toward alleviating senior hunger in Palm Beach County.
- Work to enhance and expand existing programs, develop new programs and partnerships.
- Assist with communication and coordination of action plan activities with Senior Hunger Work Group and United Way of PBC staff.
- Assist with review, coordination and tracking data, research, and findings of Senior Hunger Work Group. This is ongoing and changing rapidly with COVID-19.
- Assist with identifying areas, neighborhoods, and households where home delivered meals for seniors are needed.
- Assist with tracking home delivered meals programs and activities related to need, during COVID-19 and beyond.
- Monitor Senior Hunger Relief Volunteer Program in conjunction with Senior Hunger Collaborative related to COVID-19 challenges and beyond. Update and maintain comprehensive list of agencies in Palm Beach County providing hunger relief services to seniors.
- Assist with assessment of existing volunteer program and evaluation of needs related to COVID-19 and beyond.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent research skills
- Ability to work with others, agencies, and volunteers
- Ability to solve problems independently, effectively, and creatively
- Demonstrate independence and high motivation
- Demonstrate outstanding interpersonal and organizational skills
- Self-motivated, detail oriented, and highly-organized
- Ability to initiate and follow up on projects with minimal supervision
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to track outcomes
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Ability to represent the United Way of Palm Beach County in a professional manner
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
How to Apply
Contributions benefit United Way of Palm Beach County, a not-for-profit tax-exempt organization. Our EIN is 59-0683258.
“A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION OF UNITED WAY OF PALM BEACH COUNTY, CH802, MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE 1.800.435.7352 WITHIN THE STATE OF FLORIDA, OR AT www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Consumer-Services. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.” United Way of Palm Beach County receives 100% of each contribution.