Childhood/Senior Hunger Relief – AmeriCorps VISTA
United Way of Palm Beach County
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time, Exempt – AmeriCorps VISTA
REPORTS TO: Vice President for Hunger Relief
There are more than 300,000 hungry people living in Palm Beach County since COVID-19. 1 in every 5 children struggle to eat every day. Understanding the negative consequences of hunger, United Way of Palm Beach County is leading the fight against hunger in our county through implementing the Hunger Relief Plan. This position will assist with the implementation of childhood and senior activities of the Hunger Relief Plan.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Publicize summer meal programs for children and recruit new sites to host summer meal programs.
- Recruit new sites to host.
- Inventory faith-based and other hunger outreach programs and galvanize those efforts.
- Update and maintain database of organizations that serve the hungry.
- Galvanize hunger outreach efforts within community.
- Educate the community about the Hunger Relief Plan with a focus on childhood hunger. Use social and local media to raise awareness of both the hunger that exists in Palm Beach County and the Hunger Relief Plan activity.
- Schedule and help execute outreach opportunities.
- Assist with development/fundraising/grant opportunities as appropriate.
- Assess resources inside and outside of the Hunger Relief Task Force community to assist with ongoing action plan toward alleviating senior hunger in Palm Beach County.
- Work to enhance and expand existing programs, develop new programs and partnerships.
- Assist with communication and coordination of action plan activities with Senior Hunger Work Group and United Way of PBC staff.
- Assist with review, coordination and tracking data, research, and findings of Senior Hunger Work group. This is ongoing and changing rapidly with COVID-19.
- Assist with identifying areas, neighborhoods, and households where home delivered meals for seniors are
- Assist with tracking home delivered meals programs and activities related to need, during COVID-19 and
- Monitor Senior Hunger Relief Volunteer Program in conjunction with Senior Hunger Collaborative related to COVID-19 challenges and beyond. Update and maintain comprehensive list of agencies in Palm Beach County providing hunger relief services to seniors.
- Assist with assessment of existing volunteer program and evaluation of needs related to COVID-19 and beyond.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent research skills
- Ability to work with others, agencies and volunteers
- Ability to solve problems independently, effectively, and creatively
- Demonstrate independence and high motivation
- Demonstrate outstanding interpersonal and organizational skills
- Self-motivated, detail oriented, and highly-organized
- Ability to initiate and follow up on projects with minimal supervision
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to track outcomes
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Ability to represent the United Way of Palm Beach County in a professional manner
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
How to Apply
Interested applicants may apply at https://uwpbc.applicantpool.com/jobs/
Contributions benefit United Way of Palm Beach County, a not-for-profit tax-exempt organization. Our EIN is 59-0683258.
“A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION OF UNITED WAY OF PALM BEACH COUNTY, CH802, MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE 1.800.435.7352 WITHIN THE STATE OF FLORIDA, OR AT www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Consumer-Services. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.” United Way of Palm Beach County receives 100% of each contribution.