Executive Director for Achieve Palm Beach County
United Way of Palm Beach County
CLASSIFICATION: Exempt, Full-time, Salaried
REPORTS TO: SVP of Community Investments
To lead Achieve PBC in the oversight of all operational, financial and relationship-management of this collective impact initiative with the ultimate goal of increasing post-secondary access and completion among high school students. United Way of Palm Beach County serves as the backbone agency for the initiative. The Achieve PBC mission is to collectively ensure an integrated and effective system of supports from middle school through postsecondary that empowers students for career success. For more information about the initiative, visit: achievepbc.org.
The ideal candidate to lead Achieve Palm Beach County will be an effective, thoughtful executive tasked with ensuring that all students are provided support and resources to help them frame and achieve post-secondary and career goals. This position requires the ability to build consensus and facilitate collaboration and sustainable relationships with diverse individuals, groups, organizations and communities; an ability to create and implement a fund development plan and successfully move a diverse group of people toward a common vision. Excellent strategic, organizational, analytical and communication skills required. High visibility position with an opportunity to make a significant impact in the community.
- Develop/implement/manage Achieve PBC’s governance structure, operational guidelines, fund development plan, and communications plan, in conjunction with the Achieve PBC’s Operations Team of community leaders and United Way.
- Provide support to and manage Achieve PBC’s Strategy Teams currently focused on four strategy areas, two Support Teams focused on data and outreach/communications, as well as other Governance Teams such as Budgeting/Fund Development.
- Champion awareness of issues pertaining to college readiness, access and completion, as supported by the initiative’s goals and metrics as well as ensure the implementation of a comprehensive array of mechanisms and messaging as outlined within Achieve PBC’s communications plan. Prepare relevant reports and documentation for distribution, including an annual summary report designed to effectively communicate to a variety of community audiences about Achieve PBC.
- Engage and cultivate effective working relationships with a diverse set of key stakeholders representing various sectors (e.g., students, parents, and families as well as education, business, nonprofit, philanthropic, civic, faith-based and other community leaders).
- Commit to collaborative community impact work, in partnership with key stakeholders, while providing strategic leadership and guidance with an emphasis on systems-level as well as program-level thinking.
- Ensure that Achieve PBC’s fund development plan focuses on supporting the infrastructure of Achieve PBC as well as efforts of Achieve PBC’s strategy teams, through sources such as government and private grant funds, major gifts, and in-kind support. Achieve PBC’s fund development plan should focus on growth as well as sustainability, and should integrate into United Way’s fund development planning efforts.
- Develop annual budget ensuring optimum resource utilization and sound financial stewardship, including regular review of financials with Achieve PBC’s Operations Team.
- Understand and promote an outcome focus aligned to specific performance measures and targets, with the goal of continually demonstrating Achieve PBC’s effectiveness and impact.
- Manage Achieve PBC staff.
- Assist with the United Way of Palm Beach County’s disaster response efforts.
- Demonstration of strategic thinking, awareness and ability to perform effectively given internal and external influences.
- Demonstration of outstanding interpersonal, meeting facilitation and organizational skills.
- Ability to build consensus and facilitate collaboration, as well as the ability to build and sustain productive relationships with diverse individuals, groups, organizations and communities.
- Ability to follow governance documents and successfully move a diverse group of people toward a common vision.
- Ability to create/implement a fund development plan.
- Flexibility and ability to work on multiple high-priority projects.
- Ability to independently, effectively and creatively solve problems.
- Willingness to work flexible hours including early mornings, evenings and weekends, when needed.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, strong presentation and interpersonal skills
- Experience with effectively managing an organization or large scale program or initiative.
- Practical experience in the development of truly impactful programs or initiatives within both start-up and institutional environments, with demonstrated growth in organizational resources, reputation, and reach
- Practical experience engaging families and other support networks to support students’ aspirations and opportunities to achieve.
- The proven ability to create and leverage broad-based momentum within an organization dependent on buy-in and support from an unusually diverse group of partners and communities
- Experience in building and maintaining strategic partnerships with for-profit corporations, and nonprofit organizations, including faith-based, government and philanthropic agencies
- An exceptional reputation among peers for influence, critical thinking, and problem-solving; demonstrated through an influential professional network
- A solutions-driven management approach supported by experience and hard data
- A record of creating and supporting staff teams of exceptional competence
- Focus and tenacity in pursuit of challenging goals
- Proven ability to develop and manage a budget, including efficient resource utilization
- Creativity and Innovation
- Impact and Influence
- Leading and Managing Change
- Problem Solving
- Relationship and Collaboration Building
- Strategic Thinking
- Systems and Administration
- Team Leadership
- Visioning and Alignment
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required but Master’s degree preferred with a minimum of five years of executive level management experience or a combination of related education and work experience; Nonprofit management experience preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to education and educational attainment.
- Experience working in a team environment, managing/facilitating effective groups, developing collaborative relationships, and working with volunteers.
- Flexibility and ability to work on system level change and multiple high-priority projects.
- Ability to analyze data and develop innovative strategies to maximize results.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Ability to perform the above responsibilities, and lift/transport up to 20 lbs.
How to Apply
Email a cover letter and resume with reference code 1UW2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 18th, 2019. EOE
Contributions benefit United Way of Palm Beach County, a not-for-profit tax-exempt organization. “A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION OF UNITED WAY OF PALM BEACH COUNTY, CH802, MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE 1. 800.435.7352 WITHIN THE STATE OF FLORIDA, OR AT www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Consumer-Services. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.”
United Way of Palm Beach County receives 100% of each contribution.