Manager of College Retention
Take Stock in Children - Palm Beach County
REPORTS TO: Director of Program Services
About Take Stock in Children
Take Stock in Children was established in 1995 as a non-profit organization in Florida that provides a unique opportunity for deserving low-income students to escape the cycle of poverty through education. The program offers students full-tuition college scholarships, one-on-one mentoring services, college readiness & retention services and hope for a better life. Our comprehensive services start in middle school, continue in high school and remain through the student’s college experience. For more information on Take Stock in Children, please visit our website at www.takestockpalmbeach.org.
The mission of Take Stock in Children Palm Beach County is to passionately promote personal responsibility and academic success for at-risk Palm Beach County youth with a wraparound, evidence-based program model equipped with mentoring, college readiness, scholarships and college retention services.
BENEFITS: Medical, retirement plan, vacation, sick leave, holidays
REPORTS TO: Director of Program Services
SALARY RANGE: Commensurate with experience
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Take Stock in Children Palm Beach (herein after “Take Stock Palm Beach”) is seeking a Manager of College Retention to join our team. Under the general direction of the Director of Program Services, the candidate is responsible for leadership in the development, implementation, and coordination of an integrated retention plan and student success initiatives to ensure the success of Take Stock Palm Beach college students and to assist them in making informed college and career decisions. This is a job function
that is a component of a high-volume, fast-paced work environment. This position works with at-risk youth and must be capable of exceptional patience, understanding and have strong listening skills.
Job Responsibilities are (but not limited to):
- Lead and provide oversight for seamless integration and coordination of proactive support service tools aimed to enhance students’ abilities to succeed through first year student transition to college and engagement.
- Research, develop and implement best practices, evidenced based programs and new strategies designed to increase college matriculation.
- Develop student dashboard with early alert system and intervention process.
- Maintain an up-to-date caseload/academic status of all Take Stock Palm Beach college students.
- Collect both quantitative and qualitative data relevant to student progress such as grades, advancement and credits earned every semester and complete statistical qualitative and quantitative reporting.
- Develop a Balanced Score Card for the evaluation of the College Retention Department
- Perform audits and surveys as requested by the Florida Prepaid College Foundation.
- Maintain student files, assuring each file is thorough and up to date.
- Assist students in resolving financial aid or other holds (registration, business office, etc), including traveling to local colleges to assist students.
- Participate in state and regional webinars to maintain knowledge of best practices and guidelines.
- Develop key relationships and work in collaboration with college/university faculty to promote individual student success (Financial Aid, Student Affairs, and faculty advisors).
- Provide career guidance and counseling. This includes but is not limited to: major selection, resume review, job search strategies, cover letter writing, career interest inventories, and connections with career resources.
- Identify potential problems and intervene when necessary to ensure student success. This may include direct intervention with students and/or parents, mentors, and college/university faculty (professors, staff, advisors, etc.); determining when referrals to other agencies are the most appropriate course of action (i.e. counseling).
- Research and find students who are not currently enrolled in college and provide appropriate intervention support to ensure re-enrollment.
- Attend Take Stock in Children activities/events and assist with event planning and implementation.
- Collaborate with program and development staff to supply student updates and success stories.
- Coordinate with the Take Stock in Children State office Alumni Department.
- Collect Success Stories from our Take Stock College Alumni.
- Create and Implement various strategies for scholarship extension and emergency funding requests
- Recruit college graduates to stay involved with Take Stock in Children
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in education, public administration or a related field strongly preferred. 3-4 years previous relevant experience preferred.
- Reliable transportation and the availability to attend occasional functions in the evening and on weekends are required.
- Knowledge of post-secondary policies and procedures, academic requirements, campus resources, student life, and support services is strongly preferred.
- Sensitivity to the needs of a diverse student population, including minority and at-risk students.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Competence in communications skills, both oral and written. Ability to effectively communicate in a variety of situations, including both interpersonal and formal large-group settings. Ability to distill and convey information to multiple audiences (including students, parents, faculty, staff).
- Prowess in organizational skills with great attention to detail. Ability to work under pressure and to multi- task in a fast-paced environment, especially during peak times of the year.
- Proficiency in technology skills including database, word processing, excel, presentation, spreadsheet, desktop publishing), etc.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to Nancy Stellway at firstname.lastname@example.org Take Stock in Children Palm Beach is an equal opportunity employer.
Contributions benefit United Way of Palm Beach County, a not-for-profit tax-exempt organization. “A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION OF UNITED WAY OF PALM BEACH COUNTY, CH802, MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE 1. 800.435.7352 WITHIN THE STATE OF FLORIDA, OR AT www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Consumer-Services. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.”
United Way of Palm Beach County receives 100% of each contribution.