Hunger can — and does — exist amid plenty. Nationally, more than 49 million Americans have trouble regularly putting nutritious food on the table. In addition, despite its wealth, more than 300,000 residents in Palm Beach County struggle with hunger, 53,000 of whom are children, do not have enough to eat on a daily basis.
In our communities, individuals or families that do not want to share with their neighbors the fact that they are struggling economically often hide hunger. Sometimes hunger hides behind doors of nice houses with mortgages in default, or the heat turned off, or all the income going to housing costs, leaving little or no money for food. Sometimes it hides behind the stoic faces of parents or grandparents who skip meals to protect their children or grandchildren from hunger. It goes unseen by those not looking for it.
What are we doing as a community to change this?
To identify solutions, United Way of Palm Beach County and the administrative leadership at Palm Beach County Board of County Commissioners collaborated to develop and implement the Palm Beach County Hunger Relief Plan.
United Way and the County led the creation of the plan, and it is a major collaborative partnership with more than 60 agencies in our community.
Together, we are fighting hunger! All of us, working together towards the greater good of this community – for children whose main source of food is school meal programs, for seniors who are forced to choose between groceries and medication, for parents who work two jobs and still cannot afford to feed their families and others.
Join the fight to help end hunger today by contacting United Way of Palm Beach County’s Hunger Relief Team at HungerRelief@UnitedWayPBC.org
Click to learn more about our work in: Childhood Hunger | Senior Hunger | The Glades | Infrastructure
Palm Beach County Food Finder Map
The Palm Beach County Food Finder was created in response to COVID-19 in order to connect individuals seeking food resources to sites near them in a quick and accessible way. Through collaboration with several community partners including Palm Beach County, the School District of Palm Beach County, Palm Beach County Food Bank, Feeding South Florida, FLIPANY, Boys and Girls Clubs of Palm Beach County, Area Agency on Aging Palm Beach/Treasure Coast, Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies, Living Hungry, and Hospitality Helpings Hands, information on sites offering food services was collected and uploaded to the Palm Beach County Food Finder map. United Way of Palm Beach County will update this resource weekly. If you would like to include your organization’s resources on the map, please fill out this Food Finder Interest Form.
Meals for Children 18 and Under – These sites offer meals for children ages 18 and under.
Food Pantries – These sites offer groceries such as canned goods, produce, and protein products.
Soup Kitchens – These sites offer hot meals for individuals to take with them.
Family Take Out Meals – These sites offer drive through hot meals for everyone in the car.
Affordable Produce – These sites offer affordable produce boxes.
Community Survey – Childhood Hunger Relief
A Palm Beach County Hunger Relief Plan Childhood Work Group subcommittee is focusing on child meals and how we might better provide access to them in Palm Beach County.
The group developed a short survey for parents to help us identify the best ways to improve food resources delivery in PBC based upon parent input. We want to ensure that children and families have access to food as the pandemic continues and schools are not open.
- The information will not be used for any other purpose and is strictly confidential.
- As you move through the survey, there are optional questions for you to share additional information.
Palm Beach County Hunger Relief Cold Storage Capacity Grant Application Is Now Available!
Hunger Relief Weekly Updates:
- October 19, 2020
- October 5, 2020
- September 28, 2020
- September 21, 2020
- September 14, 2020
- August 31, 2020
- August 17, 2020
- August 10, 2020
- July 27, 2020
- July 20, 2020
- July 13, 2020
- June 22, 2020
- June 15, 2020
- June 8, 2020
- June 1, 2020
- May 25, 2020
- May 18, 2020
- May 11, 2020
- May 5, 2020
- April 27, 2020
- April 20, 2020
- April 10, 2020
Information and Resources:
- SNAP Information:
- Pregnant? Have a baby? WIC may be just right for you. WIC Q&A.
- Healthy Food Healthy Children Webinar
- This webinar held in May 2019 showcased resources in our community for those that serve children ages 0-4. Panelists included Palm Beach County Youth Services, Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies, FLIPANY, Family Central, and WIC.
- Palm Beach County Hunger Relief Plan
- Hunger Relief Annual Reports
- Nonprofits First Rising Leaders 2017 – Hunger Relief Video
- United Way of Palm Beach County, in partnership with Palm Beach County, Florida Department of Health, and 2-1-1, developed a Public Service Announcement (PSA) tool to educate the community about key information regarding COVID-19 and connect them with resources offered in the County. The PSA is available in English, Spanish, and Creole and can be used widely by organizations such as businesses, food distribution sites, and social service agencies.
Thank You to Our Generous Funders and Partners!