- Implemented Weekend Backpack Program in Belle Glade and Wellington, providing 734 students weekend backpacks during the school year. The program operates at four Boys and Girls Clubs locations and provides nutritious meals for students to take home every Friday throughout the school year, ensuring children receiving free or reduced lunch at school during the week also have access to healthy on the weekends.
- Increased the number of backpacks being provided to children year-round by 20%. The average number of children receiving backpacks year-round (summer and during school) is 3,400.
- Working with childcare centers to encourage participation in the Child Care Food Program (CCFP), a healthy meal program that provide nutritious meals and snacks to children through public-private partnerships with organizations committed to caring for children. CCFP helps child care facilities implement “best practices” to ensure children have access to a variety of nutritious foods for healthy growth and to reduce obesity risk.
- Implemented Mobile Summer BreakSpot Pilot Program in The Glades in 2018. Summer BreakSpot provides nutritious meals at no cost to children 18 and under while school is out for the summer. The program distributes up to two USDA certified meals, delivered up to five days a week, in addition to providing enrichment activities to children in low-income neighborhoods.
- More than 1,044,418 meals were served to children at Summer BreakSpot locations in Palm Beach County in 2018.
Information and Resources:
- Pregnant? Have a Baby? WIC may be just right for you. WIC Q&A