United Way of Palm Beach County’s Taxes Filed Free program partners with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to provide free, confidential, and secure preparation and e-filing of tax returns to qualified taxpayers. To qualify, taxpayer’s income must have been $68,000 or less in 2021. You may be eligible for up to $6,728 in Earned Income Tax Credits (EITC).
Due to COVID-19, United Way of Palm Beach County will offer free tax preparation services by appointment only following recommendations from the CDC and Florida Department of Health. Face masks required at all locations.
Getting your taxes filed free, fast, and safe has never been easier!
View all of United Way’s Taxes Filed Free program’s filing options below to have your 2021 income tax return prepared and e-filed by our IRS-certified Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) volunteers.
- Filed For You: In-person, socially-distanced tax preparation is provided at several county sites. View site list below to find a location near you.
- Drop Off and Wait: Offered at select Fifth Third Bank locations. Clients will wait in their car while their return is being completed. View site list below to find a location near you.
- Filed Yourself: Visit myfreetaxes.com and file your own tax return. It’s simple, fast and secure. Support available via FAQ.
- Filed Virtually: Available in February. Using IRS-approved and encrypted virtual platforms, you can meet with a VITA volunteer and have help filing your taxes from the comfort of your own home.
Use the link above to view a complete list of sites throughout Palm Beach County. All sites accommodate individuals with a disability. The sites are grouped by region of the county.
Please remember the people helping you are volunteers and are not being paid, so we appreciate your patience.
Special Event: Tax-a-Thon
Saturday, February 5, 2022 | 8:30am – 4:30pm
Palm Beach State College | Lake Worth Campus | Cafeteria
Appointments Required! Make Your Tax-a-thon Appointment Here.
Taxpayers will drop off their documents and wait in their cars or return later while our VITA volunteers prepare their tax return.
What to Bring to Your Appointment
Please bring the following items to the VITA site to make it easier to prepare your return:
- Last year’s Federal Income Tax Return (2019 and 2020 income tax returns)
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse (if married), and all dependents
- Correct birth dates for all names that appear on the return
- All W-2’s for 2021, including spouses
- Form 1098 – Mortgage interest, property taxes
- Form 1099 – DIV, G, INT, MISC, Q, R, RRB, SSA for 2021
- Voided check and savings account number for direct deposit of your refund (This is optional, but it gets your cash to you fast)
- A Photo ID card (driver’s license, etc.), including spouse’s, if married and filing joint returns
- For Dependent Care Credit, bring care provider’s name, address, SSN/EIN, and amount you paid
- For Education Credit, bring 1098T or 1098E and amount paid for qualified expenses
- For Premium Tax Credit, bring 1095-A (Health Marketplace Statement)
- Letter 6475 – 2021 Economic Impact Payment
- Letter 6419 – Child Tax Credit Payments
If married and filing a joint return, both spouses must come to the VITA site.
VITA volunteers will NOT prepare Schedule D (Complex), Schedule E, Employee Business Expenses, Moving Expenses, Nondeductible IRA
Become a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) volunteer!
We are looking for volunteers for the upcoming tax season. You can help local families succeed! We will provide all the training – no experience required. Learn more and sign up here.
Child Tax Credit Information
Eligible families will receive advance Child Tax Credit payments of up to $300 for each child younger than age 6 and up to $250 for each qualifying child ages six to 17. Watch an IRS video to learn more.
You may also opt out of the Advanced Child Tax Credit payments that begin in July. Visit the portal here, which is now live.
This program is provided in partnership with:
WE’RE MAKING AN IMPACT!